Thursday, August 29, 2013

Let's Talk About... Finding the Time to Blog

I started back at school for what is effectively my senior year last week. (Effectively because it's actually the second semester of my junior year, but it's my fourth fall semester and I'm planning on graduating in the summer.) I've always been relatively busy and studious in college, but this semester is proving that it's going to be the busiest yet. Between three upper-level English classes, upper-level Italian, and an Honor's seminar, I'm already finding that I don't have enough hours in the day to get all of my work done, along with extracurriculars, and sleep.

With this happening, I can't help but wonder to myself: How am I going to keep this blog up? I'm absolutely in love with the success I've had this year. I've been getting more and more pageviews each month, with more comments and followers as well. I have worked hard to keep up posting as much as possible, and have finally figured out I like posting six days a week, taking Saturday off. During the summer, it was not a burden to me in the least. But with this new schedule I don't even have enough time to get my readings for class done. I'm finding I have to read above one hundred pages for each day of class, and this is not light YA fare. It takes time and concentration to get through.

I am not far enough into this semester that I could possibly know how I'm going to handle this. It's looking like I'm going to be spending my weekends doing homework, writing blog posts, and reading. I may not be able to keep up with posting two reviews a week like I had settled on. Right now, I'm slightly ahead of my reviews, but that will probably change very quickly. Luckily I have nights copy-editing with the school's newspaper where we spend hours doing nothing (and where I am writing this post!) to get some work done.

This isn't a discussion so much as a question: For those of you who work full-time jobs, or multiple jobs, or have children, or whatever else, how do you manage blogging and a crazy schedule? I've never been one to schedule very far in advance, but I think that's going to have to change. Any tricks for me? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment