Friday, July 12, 2013

Mini Reviews: Losing It & The Vincent Boys

I suppose it's time for a couple more mini reviews! Both of these books are "new adult", so I thought they would go nicely together. I'm definitely finding that I like new adult titles more than I anticipated. :) Like before, I am not including the synopsis, but the titles link directly to Goodreads, where you can find the synopsis and much much more!

Title: Losing It
Author: Cora Carmack
Release date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: William Morrow
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository

I was absurdly excited to read this one because it felt like absolutely everyone had read it and enjoyed it. I was excited to become part of that crowd! Losing It is probably my favorite new adult title I've read so far, and the ones I'll read in the future have a lot to live up to. I quite liked Bliss and felt like her hangups were much more realistic than those from a lot of characters I've read about recently. Plus, it certainly can never hurt to have a hot British boy around, can it? :) I think Losing It exemplifies what new adult could be. As a young adult reader, sometimes I do miss reading about a character that is my age. Instead of inserting gratuitous sex and things that are unnecessary, Cora Carmack simply writes about a different stage in a young adult's life and does it with humor and well.

Title: The Vincent Boys
Author: Abbi Glines
Release date: October 12, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository

This is another I had heard tons of good things about. My experience with The Vincent Boys wasn't quite as good as with Losing It. I found it hard to read about Ashton cheating on Sawyer altogether, no matter how it was set up. Cheating obviously is a touchy subject, and, honestly, I think Abbi Glines does a good job with it. She takes care to show Ashton's unhappiness so the reader knows that the situation she is in is not good and I think she makes it clear there is a lot of remorse on both Ashton and Beau's parts. Even so, it rubs me the wrong way. Past that, I liked the book, if you can believe it. I especially liked Beau and Lana, and I liked seeing them juxtaposed against Ashton. It's always a pleasure to read about the area I'm from (I live about an hour from Mobile, and Grove seems to be set a little outside of Mobile) and this is definitely a summer kind of book. :)

Either one of these books would be a perfect beach read, though take care to keep them dry. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment