Monday, June 17, 2013

Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu

Release date: January 29, 2013
Author info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Publisher: Putnam
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 371
Source: Won
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?
I knew there was a reason I was so looking forward to this book! Where Legend excited and thrilled me to my core, Prodigy kept me on the edge of my seat and broke my heart.

June and Day are on the run. The public may half believe Day is dead, but the Republic knows better. With rumors flying, the two escape to Vegas, only to find that the Elector has died and his son Anden has taken his place. In order to save Day's brother and themselves, June and Day join the Patriots and the plot to assassinate the new Elector and start a revolution. Soon, though, June sees that Anden is different. He wishes for change, change that will help the people. Is it possible that the government could be good--without a revolution?

I was sold on Legend because it had been touted as a recreation of the Valjean and Javert relationship in Les Miserables (Fun fact: I'm listening to Les Mis as I write this.) I kept reading because I was fascinated by the world and the characters. I was able to look past any problems because I had such fun reading the book. With Prodigy, though, I was already invested, and deeply. Marie Lu clearly took advantage of this, drawing me in quickly and not letting go until the final sentence. Even then, I was a blubbering mess. With this book, I was more than enthralled.

While Legend suffered a bit (when I was able to look critically) from a general lack of worldbuilding, Prodigy kicks that idea to the curb. By the end of the book, I felt like I had a fantastic understanding of the world. I especially liked seeing the Colonies, since they had been much spoken of--and they didn't disappoint.

Not only is Prodigy action-packed and in a fully realized world, but June and Day really step into their own as characters. Each faces tougher and tougher decisions; neither treats them flippantly, but neither steps down either. They seem to understand the weight of who they are and how their decisions affect others. June is able to listen to her instincts, instead of completely logically. Day is forced to reconsider his deep set view of the world.

Prodigy is a more than worthy sequel to a good book; in fact, I daresay it's better. It was satisfying and exciting, but left me absolutely dying for Champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment