Monday, May 13, 2013

Cascade (River of Time #2) by Lisa T. Bergren

Release date: June 1, 2011
Author info: Website | Twitter
Publisher: David C. Cook
Pages: 399
Format: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Mom touched my underdress—a gown made six hundred years before—and her eyes widened as she rubbed the raw silk between thumb and forefinger. She turned and touched Lia’s gown. “Where did you get these clothes?”

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead.

But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.
Ever since I finished Waterfall, I've been absolutely dying to read Cascade, the second book in the series. I was ready to jump back into Gabi and Lia's adventures as they help the ancient Sienese, and I was especially ready to see more Marcello. I really enjoyed Waterfall, but I think I just might have enjoyed Cascade even more.

Cascade picks up right where Waterfall left off. Gabi and Lia have just arrived back in the present day, where they somehow have to convince their mother of the truth. But all Gabi wants is to return to ancient Siena and Marcello. She doesn't care that she knows how history is supposed to go for the country; plague and wars can't keep her away from the man she loves. The two Wolves of Siena return in good time to find that it's been a month since they left and, while there is unrest, the Sienese seem to be settling into a rhythm again. Little does anyone know, Firenze has some schemes up their sleeves and Gabi and Lia are about to be embroiled in something bigger than they could have ever expected, perhaps changing the course of history.

While I thought Waterfall was pretty action-packed, it's got nothing on Cascade. There is nonstop action, and Gabi and Lia again prove themselves to be girls who are not to be messed with. I love that they are two girls who have powerful men at their side, yet they don't need those men to take care of them. They aren't simpering, they aren't weak, and they definitely aren't like any other protagonists I've read about. It's so refreshing to read about girls who take care of themselves!

Even though Gabi and Lia are empowered characters, they've got their handsome counterparts, and I must admit I waited with baited breath for scenes with Marcello. (Really, though, how could you blame me?) I like that the couples respect one another and truly seem to value one another's opinions and wishes.

I thought Waterfall was a fun and refreshing read, but I think Cascade is simply a great book. It's fun and refreshing as well, but it's got deeper questions underlying the fun that are just handled so well and delicately. I am so excited to read Torrent!

No comments:

Post a Comment