Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top 10 of 2011: Book Covers of 2011



Welcome to my second post of "Top 10 of 2011", hosted by Rachel at FiktshunJessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic,  Lisa from A Life Bound By Books, and  Jaime & Patricia from Two Chicks on Books.. Every day this week various bloggers will be posting their top 10 lists. I think this is a great way to wrap up such a great year!

Today we're posting our top 10 covers! These are all books that have been released this year, and luckily don't have to be books we've actually read. I was very strict in what I considered to be one of my favorite covers, and it took a while to choose. There are tons of covers that I've loved, but these are covers that really struck me. Most of them I wanted to or want to read the book based almost solely on their cover. I could care less what they're about. For the ones that I read, they just happened to be great books as well. :)





10. Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay: I have yet to read this one, but every time I am in the book store I find myself gravitating towards it. I am somehow mesmerized by the girl sitting on the rock next to a roiling sea. I want to know why she's there, and in such a lovely dress. I'll be reading this one for sure, and honestly can't remember what it's really about.




9. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake: Yes, this was one of my favorite books I read this year as well as one of my favorite covers. I just love the black and white. It makes such a striking picture and really makes the red stand out. It's a lovely book inside and out, and I really can't recommend it enough.




8. Luminous by Dawn Metcalf: I have not read this one either, but the butterflies are what catch my eye. Their colors and variety are eye-catching and I can't seem to look away from the cover. I hope it's a good read as well.




7. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater: This conclusion to the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy didn't live up to my high standards in terms of story, but the cover completes a beautiful set. Just like the other two, it's a scene in the woods, created with only one color in silhouettes. While I may not be rereading the book time and time again, I've already found myself staring at the cover for stretches of time.




6. Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber: I am really not quite sure why this cover hits me the way it does. I've recently become strangely attracted to purple, so that could be part of it. But I also just love the dress the girl is wearing, and the image of her stepping into the frame whilst looking back at us. It fits the book very well, and makes for a good first impression.




5. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare: Story time! I originally read City of Bones by Ms. Clare, many years ago, because my friend Lily had shown me the cover. We thought it was weird, but the synopsis was intriguing. So she bought it, loved it, and had me read it, and I loved it too. Since then, I've become a bigger and bigger fan of her book's covers. Clockwork Prince is my favorite to date. I certainly can't get enough Jem!




4. The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman: I actually bought this books as a Christmas present for my mom, who loves reading as much as I do, and has the same rabid book-buying habit I do. :) While I haven't quite decided whether I will be reading it or not, I have spent a lot of time caressing and staring at the cover, both for it's captivating picture and for it's smooth feel. The girl on the cover is easily the most intriguing cover model I've seen all year, and really the only reason I picked up the book in the first place.




3. Possession by Elana Johnson: This is the perfect example of what flawless cover art can do. So simple, so clean, and so beautiful. I only mildly enjoyed this book, but could not get over the cover. I still look at it droolingly, though I don't ever think about the story.




2. Hourglass by Myra McEntire: This summer I was utterly obsessed with this cover. Utterly. I went into raptures over it. I ended up loving the book, but honestly I probably would've had to have a copy of it even if I'd hated it. It leaves such an enthralling first impression.




1. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin: I may be biased in this decision, sorta. I entered Michelle's preorder contest for Mara Dyer and actually won an archival print of the cover art, just the photo. The photo just blows my mind. I can't tell if he's pulling her up or down, but don't care. I love the ambiguity and mystery of it. It's definitely a photograph I would've bought had I seen it, well, anywhere. This is what makes it my favorite cover. 


So that's it for today! That was quite a bit harder than yesterday's post, though I anticipate tomorrow's will be easy. Hehehe. We'll be talking about book boyfriends! I know you'll definitely want to check that out. :) I'd love to hear if you all agree with me or why you don't! Have a lovely Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment